Saturday, December 10, 2005

Things are looking up ...

Anyone who's known me for the past 25 years or so knows that I've been a die hard Cincinnati Bengals fan through thick and thin. Long before I ever lived in the city known for it's delicious chili, I was enticed by the incredibly cool new uniforms of the 1981 team. I can remember watching the Bengals on TV with my Dad and being drawn in by those snazzy orange and black stripped helmets. This is of course only a slightly better reason to become a fan than my lifelong stint as a Boston Red Sox fan due to my mother's purchase of a cap with a "B for Brian" when I was a toddler ...

In any case '81 was a good year for the Bengals. Ken Anderson and Chris Collinsworth led the team to it's first Super Bowl ever and though they put up a good fight the orange and black ultimatley lost to the San Fransico 49ers. I'd have to wait another seven years for another bowl appearance and the '88 team led by Boomer Eisason once again made it to the big game, and lost, once again to the 49ers. I have fond memories of that '88 team, espicially rookie running back "Ickey" Woods and his infamous "Ickey Shuffle".

Since 1988 then Bengals have, for lack of a better term, sucked. It's gotten to the point where I'd pretty much given up caring about football in general. This from someone who used to follow the NFL fervently all throughout middle and high school. Enter the 2005 Bengals. After two years of 8-8 finishes, it appears that this year's team is destined for greatness, or at least a winning season. The team is led by young league leading quarterback Carson Palmer and two incredible recievers - T.J. Houshmandzadeh and the flamboyent Chad Johnson. Mr. Johnson's endzone celebrations bring to mind the Ickey shuffles of the last championship team. Currently 9-3, the Bengals face Cleveland tomorrow at home. More news as it develops.

No comments: